Whyfriday Website Privacy Notice
Last Updated: 30 June 2021
We respect the privacy of every individual who visit our website, including those in South Africa.
This Privacy Notice explains how we use personal data received from our website and other sources set out below and informs you of your data protection rights when using our website in South Africa.
Who are we?
When we refer to ‘Whyfriday’ ‘we’ ‘our’ or ‘us’ in this Privacy Notice, we refer to: Whyfriday (pty) Ltd whose registered office is at: 49 Kristal Street, Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, South Africa, and whose registration number is: 2014/232083/07.
We also refer to our website: https://whyfriday.com
What information do we collect from the Whyfriday website?
Our website serves primarily as information portals to help you better understand our products and services.
We also offer several website functions that collect information from users, which you provide to us when you ask to be kept informed, to be added to lists, or when you buy goods or book or request our services.
This information includes personal information or data belonging to you, which list is not exhaustive, such as your name, address, contact details, (e.g., email, postal address, and phone/mobile number) and general information etc.
How do we collect information on the Whyfriday website?
The main ways we collect information from our websites include the following examples, (not comprehensive):
- When you visit, or use and interact with our website, for example to complete a service request form
- When you enter personalised web areas and use our websites to engage with us, as a place where you can ask for personalised reminder or receive information about our services
- When you provide information to or interact with any of the Whyfriday forms
- When you contact us (through contact details or forms made available on our websites), or send us correspondence
- Third party support services: For the performance of our website services and to allow us to maintain appropriate records and to support ongoing queries, we may receive data about you or your website activities from third party providers (e.g., to confirm website payments, to track website order deliveries, to appropriately update our data records and to support website maintenance).
- Marketing data: Your contact details, marketing preferences or other information may be shared with us by other third parties’ partners, where there is appropriate notice and in compliance with applicable data protection laws. You have the right to ask us not to use your personal data for marketing purposes.
- Public sources of data: We may use public sources of data, for example, to support website functionality (e.g., to support authentication or fraud checks), and/or to maintain the accuracy of the data we hold.
- Website: We receive information you provide to us in your use of our websites, for example, when you add information to online forms or to data fields on our websites. We may also receive information from you by other online means, for example, if you comment on our social media pages. This will be the information that is visible to you, and may include your name, occupation, contact information (e.g., email, postal address and phone/mobile number and general information you decide to share.
- Device data: Our websites automatically take certain device information to optimise your website experience (for example, allowing our website to automatically adapt screen size as appropriate for the device you are using to browse the website). This data also supports our website analytics.
How do we use your personal data?
We use your personal data to manage and meet service and information requests, to understand our service offering usage and website use, and to make our products and services (including our web services) available to you and to ensure that all services provided to you are as effective as possible.
The main uses of your personal data and the legal grounds we rely on for these are:
Maintaining and supporting website use
Where you use an online service governed by our provided online Terms and Conditions (for example, purchases from the online stores, or entering prize draws and competitions), we and our permitted third parties will process data in several ways that support our website services.
This may include the following activities: identity confirmation, any fraud and authentication checks, service delivery, administration of prize draws, competitions, membership offers, surveys and other promotional activities, any applicable payment processes and collections activities, customer support and any ongoing service communications.
We may also seek to improve our services, using user experiences, like a customer satisfaction survey (or use third parties to send these on our behalf).
We will also let you know when you call us that our calls may be recorded to support audit and quality purposes.
Necessary for contract
Legitimate Interests in running effective website services and use of customer satisfaction surveys to support and improve our services.
Where personal data is required for entering a contract, we will identify to you where information is mandatory. The consequences of not providing this information may include being unable to proceed with the requested service.
Managing your requests
We will process data in managing your requests made on or via our websites (e.g., where you request a service offering, sign up to ‘keep me informed’ or add your details into any other website data form or data field).
We will also process data in providing and maintaining personalised website experiences.
Enhancing website experience
Where we pre-fill website data fields to enhance and streamline your online experience.
Research and development
We will process data for development, analytics, analysis, and reporting purposes, e.g., to monitor website usage, for industry benchmarks of website performance etc.
Marketing activities and research and analytics
Other marketing activities will happen assessed on the Legitimate Interests ground. e.g., where we tailor marketing communications or send targeted marketing messages via post, phone or social media and other third-party platforms; and in providing existing customers with information (via email or other channels) about similar products and services.
To improve the services, we offer via our website, we may ask you to participate in research from time to time. It is entirely up to you whether you choose to do so.
We will use profiling, including segmentation tools and carry out research and analytics activities to inform our marketing strategies, to create a better understanding of our customers and visitors; and use of our websites, to support our website advertising, and to better improve the website information, functionality, and the services we provide.
Where we collect your personal data with consent, you may withdraw your consent for us to use your information in any of these ways at any time. (This right does not affect the lawfulness of processing that was based on that consent before its withdrawal.)
To maintain, cleanse and update our records, administer, and maintain our websites, support your queries and any other internal operations and administrative purposes (for example, this will include troubleshooting, testing, supporting our audit requirements and in responding to any enquiries you may make, including any data protection rights you raise).
Network and information security
To maintain our network and information security for us to take steps to protect your information against loss or damage, theft, or unauthorised access, and to maintain appropriate server locations (for example, we may work with third parties to support appropriate use of cloud services).
Acquisitions and disposals
Any data processed as is necessary in the context of corporate acquisitions or disposals
Management of legal and regulatory requirements
To manage legal and regulatory requests and requirements, meet or defend legal rights or for the prevention/detection of crime, (including where required to assist law enforcement agencies such as the Police (or any other public authority or criminal investigation body, or for the safeguarding of national security).
In the event we communicate to you an urgent security or third-party services security notification.
Who do we share personal data with? We may share your personal data with:
- Those third parties who need to process it either on our behalf as an Operator or Processor or on their own behalf as a Responsible Party or Controller, so we can provide to you the products, services you have signed up to or requested or to further our research and development initiatives like for example advertising services (Google Advertising/Facebook Advertising etc.)
- Third parties in the event we sell or buy any business or assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation or requests, or to enforce these terms or to investigate actual or suspected breaches or to protect or pursue your, our or a third party’s legitimate interest.
- We have safeguards in place with our service providers to ensure that your data is kept confidential safe and secure and used in accordance with the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice.
Information about data transfers
We may share the personal data described in this Privacy Notice with suppliers located inside or outside the South Africa, where this is necessary for the purposes described above. Where this happens, we apply safeguards to add to the data protections that apply to those data transfers. This includes an assessment of Person wo we are sharing the data with, and their security controls, the adequacy of data privacy laws applicable in any third country where the recipient of the information or data resides or is located, the use of European Commission or other country approved model contract terms
How long do we hold personal data?
We will keep your personal data for as long as we need it to provide the products and services you have signed up to. We may also keep it to comply with our legal obligations, respond to queries and resolve any disputes, to meet our legitimate interests, including for our ongoing research and development initiatives, and to enforce our rights. The criteria we use to determine storage periods include
- Information we have told you about storage periods on our website or in website terms and conditions.
- We will also use criteria such as applicable contractual provisions that are in force, legal statutory limitation periods, applicable regulatory requirements, and industry standards.
Your data protection rights
You have the following rights in connection with your personal data:
- To withdraw consent where you have given it
- To be informed and have access to your personal data
- To correct or complete inaccurate data
- To restrict, request erasure, object to processing
- To request portability of your personal data to another organization
- You may also contact our Information Officer at the following email addresses where queries are data protection related:
If you are not satisfied, you also have the right to complain to the Information Regulator at https://www.justice.gov.za/inforeg/
Links to other websites
Keeping your information secure
We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We require all our service providers to have appropriate measures in place to maintain the security of your information.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access any personalised area on our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted over the internet; any transmission is at your own risk.
Your information will be kept in a secure environment protected by a combination of physical and technical measures such as encryption technologies or authentication systems to prevent any loss, misuse, alteration, disclosure, destruction, theft, or unauthorised access.
This Notice explains how we obtain, use and disclose your personal information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”).
At Whyfriday we are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully and transparently.
The information we collect
We collect and process your personal information to facilitate communication and to contact you for the purposes of marketing our activities and delivering our services.
Should you provide us with your personal information or decide to register as a user on the Website, we may require you to provide us with personal information which includes but is not limited to –
- your name and surname;
- your email address;
- your physical address;
- your mobile number; and
- your date of birth.
Should your personal information change, please inform us and provide us with updates to your personal information as soon as reasonably possible to enable us to update your personal information.
You may choose to provide additional personal information to us, in which event you agree to provide accurate and current information, and not to impersonate or misrepresent any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with anyone or anything.
Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
We will not, without your express consent
Use your personal information for any purpose other than as set out below:
- in relation to the ordering, sale and delivery of Goods;
- to contact you regarding current or new Goods or services or any other goods offered by us or any of our divisions, affiliates and/or partners (unless you have opted out from receiving marketing material from us);
- to inform you of new features, special offers and promotional competitions offered by us or any of our divisions, affiliates and/or partners (unless you have opted out from receiving marketing material from us); and
- to improve your experience on our Website by, inter alia, monitoring statistical non-personal browsing habits, and to transact with us; or
- disclose your personal information to any third party other than as set out below:
- to our employees and/or third party service providers who assist us to interact with you via our Website, email or any other method, for the ordering of Goods or when delivering Goods to you, and thus need to know your personal information in order to assist us to communicate with you properly and efficiently;
- to our divisions, affiliates and/or partners (including their employees and/or third party service providers) in order for them to interact directly with you via email or any other method for purposes of sending you marketing material regarding any current or new goods or services, new features, special offers or promotional items offered by them (unless you have opted out from receiving marketing material from us);
- to our suppliers in order for them to liaise directly with you in the event of you submitting a warranty claim regarding any Goods you have purchased which requires their involvement; and
- pursuant to a corporate transaction in terms of which we sell any of our businesses or assets to a buyer of such businesses or assets.
We are entitled to use or disclose your personal information if such use or disclosure is required in order to comply with any applicable law, order of court or legal process served on us, or to protect and defend our rights or property.
We will ensure that all of our employees, third party service providers, divisions, affiliates and partners (including their employees and third party service providers) having access to your personal information are bound by appropriate and legally binding confidentiality and non-use obligations (save as permitted herein) in relation to your personal information.
- treat your personal information as strictly confidential;
- take appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure that your personal information is kept secure and is protected against unauthorised or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage, alteration, disclosure or access;
- provide you with access to your personal information to view and/or update personal details;
- promptly notify you if we become aware of any unauthorised use, disclosure or processing of your personal information;
- provide you with reasonable evidence of our compliance with our obligations under this policy on reasonable notice and request;
- upon your request, promptly return or destroy any and all of your personal information in our possession or control; and
- not retain your personal information longer than the period for which it was originally needed, unless we are required by law to do so, or you consent to us retaining such information for a longer period.
We may also disclose your information
Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure.
Our security policies and procedures cover
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
Access to information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, simply contact us at the numbers/addresses as provided on our website or complete the contact form below and specify what information you require. We will need a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.
Please note that any such access request may be subject to a payment of a legally allowable fee.
Correction of your information
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will require a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before making changes to personal information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your personal information accurate.
Definition of personal information
According to the Act ‘‘personal information’’ means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. Further to the POPI Act, Whyfriday also includes the following items as personal information:
- All addresses including residential, postal and email addresses.
- Change of name – for which we require copies of the marriage certificate or official change of name document issued by the state department.
How to contact us
If you have any queries about this notice; you need further information about our privacy practices; wish to withdraw consent; exercise preferences or access or correct your personal information, please contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our website.